Posts Tagged ‘SIN Number’

To work in Canada you need to have a SIN Number (NAS en français). As a new arrival you need to go to the Service Canada centre nearest to you to go and pick it up. We received a list from the Québec Immigration authorities at the airport.

Once you arrive at Service Canada, at the reception desk they take your passports and PR documents, enter them into a computer and ask you to wait. We arrived around 9am at the office was empty so we were completed 30 mins later. After you’ve waited you’re called to a counter where your documents are requested again and then more information is entered into the computer, including your address and the names of your parents.

Children don’t need to have a SIN number unless you want to open a savings account for university studies. You can request a number, but apparently if it remains dormant it can cause problems later.

Read Full Post »